[GRASS-user] 7.3.svn observations

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 28 09:58:35 PDT 2016

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> Not wrong, you used 'input' parameter which accepts file. In GUI you can
>> type into the field right away and it automatically creates a temporary
>> file. But if you don't save this file, it will be deleted. The saved gxw
>> file will have saved the path to temp file, which is the problem.

>  OK. I'll try again.

Anna,

   Then perhaps it's not an issue for trac as much as instructions for those
of us new to annotatating a map with text. Where this should go I've no
idea.

   There are a couple of issues, though, that deserve attention.

   1. Now that I save the text in a file (and there are 4 such files for this
one map) all but one are read by the .gxw processor and correctly placed on
the map. The one that consistently displays incorrectly (in both 7.2.svn and
7.3.svn) is the text string, "Hwy 18". Rather than being placed on the
roadway only the digits are displayed and above the roadway. For some reason
the string "Hwy" does not display. I need to remove the numeric placement
numbers in order to get the full label displayed after I move it back to the
roadway. This is an annoying issue and working within the GUI I don't see
what's different between this label and other text labels.

   Also, the GUI console window shows multiple errors opening files in the
saved workspace. I supposedly copied that window's content to the log file,
but it turned out to be empty when I tried to look at it: 0 bytes in size.

   2. I wanted to send a small image showing the misplaced label so I fired
up xv and grabbed a screenshot of the map. When I opened it in The GIMP to
cut out only the portion with the label, no text annotation was displayed.
The scale bar/north arrow display, but not the text. It might be helpful to
have text annotations handled in the same manner as the legends, north
arrows, and scale bars.

   On further consideration I will open a ticket about the .gxw file saving
paths to non-saved .txt files. Perhaps when the text annotation 'Apply' or
'OK' buttons are clicked a dialog box opens asking for a filename and that
file is then saved without explicit user action.

Regards,

Rich