[GRASS-user] Temporal framework: calculating annual 5-day extremes

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 6 02:31:24 PDT 2017

Hi,

> I have a time series of rainfall data, and for each year I want to calculate
> the five-day period with maximum rainfall. So I would need to calculate the
> sum of day1 to day5, then day2 to day6, then day3 to day7 etc for the whole
> year, and then output the maximum grid cell 5-day values for each year into
> a single raster.

What you need is a temporal moving window with the size of 5 days to
compute for each day the 5 day aggregate of the future.
You can convert your time series into a voxel dataset (3d raster) and
use r3.mapcalc with the neighbor index operator map[x][y][z] (if i
remember correctly):

agg_map3d = map3d[0][0][0] + map3d[0][0][1] + ... map3d[0][0][4]

Or you use t.rast.algebra [1] and the temporal neighbor operator strds[t]:

agg_strds = prec_strds[0] + prec_strds[1] + ... prec_strds[4]

Best regards
Soeren

[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass73/manuals/t.rast.algebra.html