[GRASS-user] v.out.ogr with -spat?

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at 3DTOPO.com
Sat Aug 19 13:14:02 PDT 2017

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 1:08 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>
> On 18/08/17 07:36, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I have huge vector databases (~50 million records) that I need to export as many tens of thousands of tiles.
>> Is it possible to use ogr2ogr’s spat argument when exporting with v.out.ogr, perhaps using its’ dsco or lco arguments?
>
> AFAIK, no.
>
> Seems like an interesting thing to have. Maybe you could make an enhancement request for this in the bug tracker ?

Hi Moritz,

OK, thanks for the suggestion.

>> Otherwise, is there a faster (more efficient) way than creating a new vector with v.select? v.select seems several magnitudes slower than if I export to a huge sqlite database and the use ogr2ogr’s -spat argument, but I would prefer to keep it in GRASS.
>
> See https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3361 for a report of the slow v.select. This is mostly when using the GEOS operators, not when using the native overlap operator. Is this what you are doing ? It would be good if you could add your experience to the above enhancement request.

My apologies, I had used v.overlay, not v.select. I just tried v.select and it was very fast.

Still though, I think it would be very nice to be able to specify the extents when exporting with v.out.ogr so I will make an enhancement request.

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
<3DTOPO.com>