[GRASS-user] g.list ... -1073741701

Edmund Swylan Edmund.Swylan at ponymail.com
Sun Aug 20 04:21:02 PDT 2017

Dear Helmut,

HK> it's not recommended (and normally not needed) to change anything by user
HK> directly in the operating systems folder like C:\WINDOWS\system32. too much
HK> risk for mixing and messing up things.

This might be a matter of one's view of the world. As we know, things get messed
up under all policies. Tastes in messes differ.

To return to the case in hand, the system directories of the other computer
have been modified only indirectly, i.e., by installations.

ES> I have a 95 and several versions of 98.
HK> no newer ones?

At the moment I would not be interested in a GRASS under a Windows newer than
all XPs.

HK> I've co-developed the winGRASS-installers up from the beginning, we tested
HK> it quite a lot on different windows versions and flavors in this long time.

There is nothing reprehensible in an application depending on, say, a .dll
that Microsoft, or the author of another application, or the "user" may have
modified or removed. But one feels encouraged if there is a way of guessing
which .dll it might be. Does, say, v.info indeed depend on numerous external
functions? Hasn't its developer a good idea what it depends on? I can try
things out with various versions of several .dlls, risk of mess or not.

HK> the standalone installer is based upon the OSGeo4W-environment; there it's
HK> possible to add step by step new components, e.g.
HK> - first, install only the basic OSGeo4W-environment, which is mostly
HK> GDAL/PROJ4 stuff, which is GRASS based upon
HK> - do some tests, e.g. by ogrinfo yourshapefile.shp, gdalinfo yourgeo.tif,
HK> ogr2ogr newshapefile.shp oldshapefile.shp etc etc
HK> - add winGRASS to the OSGeo4W-environment and do some tests.

How would the problem in hand disappear thanks to the removal of some parts
of the environment established by the stand-alone installer? Perhaps the
Spearfish is too fat for the experiments? Maybe I should reinstall a GRASS
without the fish and try a function or two on a small .shp? Maybe you have
a particular .shp in mind?

Yours,

Edmund