[GRASS-user] Splitting Up an Area

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Dec 5 07:05:22 PST 2017

On 05/12/17 01:09, Joshua Quesenberry wrote:
> All,
>
> Any suggestions on how best I could split up a region into 40-60 acre
> segments using linear features (ridges, streams, roads, trails, etc.)?
> The watershed tool seems to split along ridges and ravines fairly well,
> however, it seems I can only define the lower area limit not the upper..

Are you speaking about linear features in images, or about vector maps
of linear features ?

If this is for images, what you are speaking about are cutlines. AFAIK,
we currently do not have an implementation of cutlines in GRASS GIS.
Attached you can find a bash script I threw together trying to implement
a cutlines algorithm using i.zc and r.cost+r.drain. It is in a rough
state, without any comments, and it works only moderately well. It also
doesn't scale well as i.zc puts everything into memory. I will probably
have to work on a better version in a few months, but if you or someone
else wants to do it before, I won't complain ;-)

You should be able to run it as is in the North Carolina demo dataset to
see the results.

Moritz