[GRASS-user] Strange behavior with v.patch

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 08:33:05 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Peter Tittmann <ptittmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In attempting to patch two polygon layers I am confused as to the the
results i am getting. My understanding of v.patch is that it would be
similar to a `union` operator in SQL (not a spatial union) wherein rows of
one or many tables are concatenated to a new table. However, the results
i’m getting are not in aligned with that expectation.

https://pasteboard.co/GXjWm6P.png )

> The second image ( https://pasteboard.co/GXjVSQE.png) is a result of
>
> # combine all clustered polygons into one table
> gsc.parse_command('v.patch',
>                   flags = 'e',
>                   overwrite = True,
>                   verbose= True,
>                   input = <green>, <orange>,
>                   output = ssPoly)
>
> The blue represents the result of the v.patch command. I don't understand
why all of the area covered by the two source vectors is not covered in the
patched vector.

You have patched two area vectors together and the output contains most
likely topological errors. Try to clean the output of v.patch with v.clean
-c tool=break type=boundary.

HTH,

Markus M