[GRASS-user] Install GRASS stable and experimental in parallel

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 14 03:57:17 PST 2017

On Dec 14, 2017 12:48 PM, "Stefan Blumentrath" <Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Is it possible to install (any) development / test version of GRASS
(trunk or 7.4.0RC2) in parallel to the stable version (GRASS 7.2) from
UbunutGIS both at the same machine?

Sure! Since the names are different, no problem.

> I know both can co-exist when I compile from source, but a binary package
might come in handy in some cases…

I commonly have several versions installed and running.
Limitation: it is possible with self compiled GRASS GIS. Any package
manager would substitute...

> GRASS website [1] says GRASS 7 can be installed in parallel to GRASS 6.
Does that mean that e.g. 7.4 in parallel to 7.2 is not possible?

It is possible if you compile yourself.

(I'd appreciate help to improve/redo the web site, but that's a different
topic)

Cheers
Markus