[GRASS-user] Creating STRDS from scratch

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Feb 21 15:14:01 PST 2017

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017, Veronica Andreo wrote:

> If your maps represent intervals, then yes, it is correct to use -i. What
> -i does is create intervals of the given increment (1 day) starting from
> the start date that you pass (2013-11-15).

Vero,

   Since this is the first time I've dealt with temporal datasets in GRASS I
need to understand what more experienced analysts take for granted. In this
case I'm trying to understand whether my data do represent intervals.

   The data represent the hourly average rainfall rate calculated by dividing
the daily total rainfall amount by 24. Therefore, for each day I have a
single value, and the STRDS input file consists of that value for each date
in sequence for a total of 25 days. The last day in the file is a filler to
ensure the last meaningful day is included.

   So I assume that since I have raster maps for each of 25 sequential dates
they represent intervals. And, if I were to have a set of files with each
one on a different day, but not sequential, then those maps would not
represent intervals. Are these assumption correct?

Thanks,

Rich