[GRASS-user] t.register does not register anything in a STVDS

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 01:07:11 PST 2017

Hello,

> Le Fri, 24 Feb 2017 19:04:50 +0100,
> Sören Gebbert <soerengebbert at googlemail.com> a écrit :

> > > Sören,
> > >
> > > I was sure I did. Anyway is it expected behaviour to be able to
> > > register maps in the DB without registering them in a STDS?
> >
> > Yes, it is.
> >
> > > I agree with Markus that a warning could be useful.
> >
> > I don't think so, you will get a warning for expected behavior.
>

> Maybe this means that documentation needs to be improved to make it
> clear that there are two different processes here, IIUC:
>
> 1) Register maps in the database
> 2) Register maps as being part of a STDS
>
> 1) can exist without 2), but you need 1) for 2).

Yes, because 1 (registering maps in the temporal database) is equivalent to
timestamping maps, and that is necesary for the further registration of
those maps into a specific stds. However, when you only do 2 (register maps
into a stds) the module first takes care of registering such maps into the
temporal data base (i.e.: assigning timestamps in the temporal database)
and then includes them into the stds you pass as input option.

> You can do 2) several times to create different STDS, but using the
> same maps registered in 1).

You can register the same maps in several stds, yes. By default they will
be in the temporal database.

> t.register allows you to do both 1) _and_ 2), possibly in one single
> run, but it is still two different processes.

Yes, as said before, 1 and 2 are two different things and t.register does
both. If you use t.register without input option you are just assigning
timestamps to maps in the temporal database (in the temporal framework),
and if you use t.register with the input option you are registering
timestamped maps (that were previously registered in the temporal database,
either in the same run of the command or a previous one not using input
option) into a specific stds.

> Sören, please correct me if I'm wrong.

correct us :)

I will try to make these differences clearer both in temporal wiki(s) and
manuals (will send a diff to any of you these days).

best,
Vero