[GRASS-user] Hardware requirements to run GRASS

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 13 05:51:22 PDT 2017

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa wrote:

> A Journal editor is requesting the minimum hardware requirements to run
> GRASS. I found a 20 year old unsigned post [0] with some hints, but
> certainly things have changed since. Can anyone shed some light on modern
> requirements?

Luís,

   My immediate response is that this is a meaningless question; that is, one
asked out of ignorance of computers and software. The requirements really
depend on what types of analyses will be done with grass and how large are
the data sets that will be applied.

   For example, most of the time I analyze spatial data on a 32-bit
Slackware-14.1 workstation with 2 cores and 4G RAM. But, for hydrological
modeling with DEM resulution of 1m x 1m over a ~40 ha area, I run the models
on a 64-bit Slackware-14.2 host with 4 cores (and no more than 2 cores per
process) with 8G RAM. The modeling time on the older host is excessive; on
the faster one runs could take up to 9 days.

HTH,

Rich