[GRASS-user] r.to.vect stats

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon May 1 14:11:06 PDT 2017

mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> >> I have separated the binning code in r.in.lidar [3] so that it can be
> >> used in r.in.xyz
> >

> > Is it different from the binning code in r.in.xyz ?
>

> Not really. r.in.lidar was based on r.in.xyz, now they are different but
of course the idea is to make them again as similar as possible.

I would rather keep r.in.xyz as simple as possible and instead add wrapper
scripts for specific tasks. Maybe r.in.lidar could be sync'ed back to
r.in.xyz and a new wrapper script could be created, something like
r.in.lidar.filter ;-)

> >> Anyway, a new module needs to be implemented for this. The name can be
> >> something like r.binning, r.vect.stats, r.point.stats, or
> >> r.points.stats. It might good project for beginners.
> >

> > I like the idea. But do you really think this would be much faster than
v.out.ascii | r.in.xyz ?

> I don't know if much faster, but it will be at least little faster.
Another issue is that "v.out.ascii | r.in.xyz" is little hard to do on MS
Windows and from GUI in general. Yes, there should have been a wrapper
module for this already, but the a module to do the task directly is seems
to me as a better solution

Why would a new C module be a better solution than a simple wrapper
combining v.out.ascii + r.in.xyz? Considering code maintenance, a wrapper
script would be easier to maintain. Otherwise, a dedicated C module would
be another clone of r.in.xyz, taking as input not a text file but a GRASS
vector with points.

my2c

Markus M