[GRASS-user] Large import runs out of memory

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Nov 2 08:22:12 PDT 2017

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017, Stefan Blumentrath wrote:

> Please try GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM environment variable:

Stefan,

   Added that var as an export in ~/.bash_profile and sourced the file in the
virtual terminal used to run grass. Then I started grass and used v.import
on the source .shp file. Here's the result:

Cleaning polygons
Breaking polygons...
Breaking polygons (pass 1: select break points)...
Breaking polygons (pass 2: break at selected points)...
Current region rows: 1, cols: 1
ERROR: G_realloc: unable to allocate 11768004 bytes of memory at lib/vector/diglib/struct_alloc.c:196
ERROR: Unable to import </home/rshepard/data/states/Washington/land-use/landuse10.shp>
(Thu Nov  2 07:46:11 2017) Command finished (7 min 3 sec)

   I did not run 'top' while this was processing, but with 4G RAM and 16G
swap there should have been sufficient memory to allocate 12G in there.

   Any thoughts? I think one laptop has 8G RAM so I could run it on there
then rsync with the desktop.

Rich