[GRASS-user] Large import runs out of memory

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:52:06 PDT 2017

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2017, Stefan Blumentrath wrote:
>
>> Please try GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM environment variable:
>

> Stefan,
>
>   Added that var as an export in ~/.bash_profile and sourced the file in
the
> virtual terminal used to run grass. Then I started grass and used v.import
> on the source .shp file. Here's the result:
>
> Cleaning polygons
> Breaking polygons...
> Breaking polygons (pass 1: select break points)...
> Breaking polygons (pass 2: break at selected points)...
> Current region rows: 1, cols: 1
> ERROR: G_realloc: unable to allocate 11768004 bytes of memory at
lib/vector/diglib/struct_alloc.c:196
> ERROR: Unable to import
</home/rshepard/data/states/Washington/land-use/landuse10.shp>
> (Thu Nov  2 07:46:11 2017) Command finished (7 min 3 sec)
>
>   I did not run 'top' while this was processing, but with 4G RAM and 16G
> swap there should have been sufficient memory to allocate 12G in there.

Not necessarily. It tries to allocate additional 12 GB on top of what has
already been allocated. What matters is the amount of free memory left, not
the total amount of memory.

You use
export GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM=1

right?