[GRASS-user] Importing FileGDB with FIPS code

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri Nov 3 16:40:33 PDT 2017

Rich Shepard wrote
> A source data file has the projection of
> "NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Washington_South_FIPS_4602_Feet". When I look up
> the conversion from FIPS 4602 to and EPSG code I find an ESRI code of
> 102439, but grass does not accept that for defining a new location.
>
>    I have the EPSG codes for Washington(HARM) NAD83 in both ftUS and
> meters,
> but not for state plane survey feet.
>
>    Please advise me where to look for the proper way to define this
> location
> when importing StatePlane data.
>
> Rich

What does ogrinfo tells about the data?

As Markus M. already mentioned in another thread, you can create a location
based upon the SRS information of your data by v.in.ogr.

taken from the v.in.ogr manual:

"If the user wishes to import the data with the full projection definition,
it is possible to have v.in.ogr automatically create a new location based on
the projection and extents of the file being read. This is accomplished by
passing the name to be used for the new location via the location parameter.
Upon completion of the command, a new location will have been created (with
only a PERMANENT mapset), and the vector map will have been imported with
the indicated output name into the PERMANENT mapset."

try to create a location in this way, then try out reproject by v.project.

If it's raster data, then r.in.gdal/r.proj.

-----
best regards
Helmut
--