[GRASS-user] Import and reproject COSMO REA6 data set

Pietro Zambelli peter.zamb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 04:45:09 PST 2017

Dear Helmut,

On 06/11/17 08:22, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
> not really an answer, but the data documentation says:
>
> "Output format: 	GRIB 1, rotated spherical"
>
> a quick web search shows some hints to handle such data.

Looking at the reference model manual:

http://www.cosmo-model.org/content/model/documentation/core/cosmoDyncsNumcs.pdf

at page 25, there are some equation to transform the rotated spherical
coordinates back and forward, see the attached image.

Are these the hints that you mentioned in your previous reply?

Should I convert the raster in to a x_s, y_s, z list of points and write
a function to convert the spherical coordinates (x_s, y_s) values
defining my own python script to apply the transformation function and
generate the lat, lon, z triplet of values, to be imported into a WGS84
location?
Any better approach/idea?

Thank you for the support.

Best regards