[GRASS-user] Import and reproject COSMO REA6 data set

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Nov 6 05:05:51 PST 2017

Pietro Zambelli wrote
> Dear Helmut,
>
> On 06/11/17 08:22, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
>> not really an answer, but the data documentation says:
>>
>> "Output format: 	GRIB 1, rotated spherical"
>>
>> a quick web search shows some hints to handle such data.
>
> Looking at the reference model manual:
>
> http://www.cosmo-model.org/content/model/documentation/core/cosmoDyncsNumcs.pdf
>
> at page 25, there are some equation to transform the rotated spherical
> coordinates back and forward, see the attached image.
>
> Are these the hints that you mentioned in your previous reply?
>
> Should I convert the raster in to a x_s, y_s, z list of points and write
> a function to convert the spherical coordinates (x_s, y_s) values
> defining my own python script to apply the transformation function and
> generate the lat, lon, z triplet of values, to be imported into a WGS84
> location?
> Any better approach/idea?
>
> Thank you for the support.

never used such kind of data for myself; maybe it would be worth to ask on
the GDAL ML how to used this kind of data.

some other things I've found in the web, e.g.

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/10808/manually-transforming-rotated-lat-lon-to-regular-lat-lon
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/64210/transforming-regular-lat-lon-to-rotated-lat-lon
http://jgrib.sourceforge.net/docs/rotLatLon.pdf
[...]