[GRASS-user] Unable to open the Corine land cover map using GrassGIS 7

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 08:24:55 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net>
wrote:

> Hakim Benoudjit:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm unable to open the Coring Land cover map (100m accuracy version) for
>> Europe using GrassGIS, which can be downloaded from
>> http://land.copernicus.eu/pan-european/corine-land-cover/clc-2012.
>> Apparentely the coordinate system of this land cover map isn't supported
>> (The projection is ETRS89 (EPSG:3035)),  while the projection of the
>> location I'm trying to import the raster to is WGS84 (EPSG:4326). Here is
>> the error shown in GrassGIS: *ERROR: Coordinate reference system not
>> available for input <C:\Data\Corine Land
>> Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\g100_clc12_V18_5.tif>*

As the error says, there is no coordinate reference system defined with the
input. The coordinate reference system is only defined in non-standard
metadata which are not readable for GDAL. Therefore you need to specify the
CRS (EPSG:3035) manually, no matter what tool you are going to use (GRASS
GIS/GDAL/QGIS).

>> Is there a workaround in GrassGIS to open this image?
>> Otherwise which tool should I use to reproject it?
>

> Dear Hakim, you can
>
> 1) create an ETRS89-based Location and then import the map in this
> Location.

You will need the -o flag to override projection check.

> If it is required to land in WGS84, there is r.proj that will
> transform the raster map from one Location (say the "new" one based on
> EPSG 3035) to the other (say the WGS84).
>
> 2) transform the map to wgs84 (use, for example GDAL tools -- perhaps
> from inside QGIS)

That will only work if you manually assign a CRS to the input, e.g. with
gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG3035

HTH,

Markus M