[GRASS-user] Unable to open the Corine land cover map using GrassGIS 7

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Oct 9 07:47:44 PDT 2017

Hakim Benoudjit:

>Hi,
>
>I'm unable to open the Coring Land cover map (100m accuracy version) for
>Europe using GrassGIS, which can be downloaded from
>http://land.copernicus.eu/pan-european/corine-land-cover/clc-2012.
>Apparentely the coordinate system of this land cover map isn't supported
>(The projection is ETRS89 (EPSG:3035)),  while the projection of the
>location I'm trying to import the raster to is WGS84 (EPSG:4326). Here is
>the error shown in GrassGIS: *ERROR: Coordinate reference system not
>available for input <C:\Data\Corine Land
>Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\g100_clc12_V18_5.tif>*
>
>Is there a workaround in GrassGIS to open this image?
>Otherwise which tool should I use to reproject it?

Dear Hakim, you can

1) create an ETRS89-based Location and then import the map in this
Location. If it is required to land in WGS84, there is r.proj that will
transform the raster map from one Location (say the "new" one based on
EPSG 3035) to the other (say the WGS84).

2) transform the map to wgs84 (use, for example GDAL tools -- perhaps
from inside QGIS)

It all depends what the further processing steps are. Better to avoid
transformations if precision is of interest.

If only quick viewing is of concern, consider using QGIS.

Some links to our Wiki:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Location_Wizard
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Map_Reprojection

Nikos