[GRASS-user] large shapefile not importing properly with v.import

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 14:28:06 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 10:51 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

> >That explains a lot of the errors. Thus I should import only one of >the
> site types A, B, C at a time, e.g. v.in.ogr where="SITETYPE='A'",
>correct?
>
> yes
>
> >Unfortunately, with the example I mentioned, the two overlapping
>polygons
> are both of site type B, suggesting that the update of the >database did
not
> remove the old entry
>
> sites of the same type shouldn't overlap, these are artefacts of different
> data sources over Europe compiled in a not "cleaned" data set

In this case, the user has to decide what is correct. Both polygons have
the same "RELEASE_DA: 2017-01-30", no way to decide which one is newer.

> I'm aware that not all of these issues could/should be "automagically"
> solved during import, some precision errors/self intersection/....
> correction would be nice :-)

v.in.ogr can fix precision errors with a suitable value for snapping. Areas
that are too small to be considered valid areas can be removed with v.clean
tool=rmarea. For everything else, as in the example above, the user must
decide what is correct and what not.

In short, software "a" can fix errors created by software "b", but most
often only humans can fix human errors. In the end, human decision about
what is correct and what not is needed. Regarding the problem with
Natura2000, I am pretty sure that someone added a certain site and that
same person, and/or another one doing cross-checking, did not notice that
there is an earlier version of that site, maybe with a different name but
same location.

Markus M