[GRASS-user] GRASS on High Sierra

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Mon Oct 23 08:41:31 PDT 2017

Hi --

A few days ago I upgraded the operating system on my MacBook Pro from 10.11 to 10.13 (High Sierra).  Most everything seems to still be working - except GRASS and QGIS.  I have been running Barton's binaries and Kyngs's  frameworks for a number of years without any major problems.  I have 3 GRASS versions installed - 6.4.5, 7.3 (py2), and 7.3 (py3).  6.4 gives the most succinct error messages on startup and it's possible to continue on the command line (no gui):

dyld: Library not loaded: /Applications/GRASS/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_gis.6.4.5svn.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/g.gisenv
  Reason: image not found

The library in question is still where it's always been.

7.3 is more verbose, but basically says the same thing:

Starting GRASS GIS...
dyld: Library not loaded: /Applications/GRASS-7.3.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_gis.7.3.svn.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/GRASS-7.3_py3.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/g.gisenv
  Reason: image not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/GRASS-7.3_py3.app/Contents/MacOS/gui/wxpython/gis_set.py", line 31, in <module>
    from core import globalvar

grass.exceptions.CalledModuleError: Module run None ['g.gisenv', '-n'] ended with error
Process ended with non-zero return code -6. See errors in the (error) output.
ERROR: Error in GUI startup. See messages above (if any) and if necessary, please report this error to the GRASS developers.
On systems with package manager, make sure you have the right GUI package, probably named grass-gui, installed.
To run GRASS GIS in text mode use the -text flag.
Exiting...
logout

I tried a fresh installation of 7.3 using macports (grass7) and strangely, had a failure where wxWidgets could not be found:

--->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from https://pek.cn.distfiles.macports.org/macports/distfiles/wxWidgets/3.0.2
--->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from http://ncu.dl.sourceforge.net/project/wxwindows/3.0.2
--->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/wxwindows/3.0.2
--->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/3.0.2/
--->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/wxWidgets/3.0.2
Error: Failed to fetch wxPython-3.0: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_wxWidgets-3.0/wxPython-3.0/main.log for details.
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
Error: Processing of port grass7 failed

 Macports attempted to fetch wxWidgets from all its sources.  But the currently installed (and considered up to date) version is wxWidgets-3.0.3 - strange.

So there does appear to be something unusual going on with wxpython and OS X 10.13

The bad news may be that there is currently no source of a binary version of GRASS for anyone with a new Mac or upgrading their OS.  I did get the Macports version of QGIS to install and run - but I need my GRASS to run !

Happy to pursue this further if anyone has any ideas to try .......

thx

Stu