[GRASS-user] GRASS on High Sierra

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:55:00 PDT 2017

Hello Stu

I'm still with Sierra but I use homebrew to install GRASS. I also had some
issues with wxpython, and to fix it I had to add this to bash_profile:

export
PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_cocoa:$PYTHONPATH

hope it helps

Carlos

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Stuart Edwards <sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com>
wrote:

> Hi --
>
> A few days ago I upgraded the operating system on my MacBook Pro from
> 10.11 to 10.13 (High Sierra).  Most everything seems to still be working -
> except GRASS and QGIS.  I have been running Barton's binaries and Kyngs's
>  frameworks for a number of years without any major problems.  I have 3
> GRASS versions installed - 6.4.5, 7.3 (py2), and 7.3 (py3).  6.4 gives the
> most succinct error messages on startup and it's possible to continue on
> the command line (no gui):
>

> dyld: Library not loaded: /Applications/GRASS/GRASS-6.4.
> app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_gis.6.4.5svn.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/g.gisenv
>   Reason: image not found
>
> The library in question is still where it's always been.
>
> 7.3 is more verbose, but basically says the same thing:
>
> Starting GRASS GIS...
> dyld: Library not loaded: /Applications/GRASS-7.3.app/
> Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_gis.7.3.svn.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Applications/GRASS-7.3_py3.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/g.
> gisenv
>   Reason: image not found
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Applications/GRASS-7.3_py3.app/Contents/MacOS/gui/wxpython/gis_set.py",
> line 31, in <module>
>     from core import globalvar

> grass.exceptions.CalledModuleError: Module run None ['g.gisenv', '-n']
> ended with error
> Process ended with non-zero return code -6. See errors in the (error)
> output.
> ERROR: Error in GUI startup. See messages above (if any) and if necessary,
> please report this error to the GRASS developers.
> On systems with package manager, make sure you have the right GUI package,
> probably named grass-gui, installed.
> To run GRASS GIS in text mode use the -text flag.
> Exiting...
> logout
>

> I tried a fresh installation of 7.3 using macports (grass7) and strangely,
> had a failure where wxWidgets could not be found:
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from
> https://pek.cn.distfiles.macports.org/macports/distfiles/wxWidgets/3.0.2
> --->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from
> http://ncu.dl.sourceforge.net/project/wxwindows/3.0.2
> --->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from
> http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/wxwindows/3.0.2
> --->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from
> http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/3.0.2/
> --->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-3.0.3.tar.bz2 from
> http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/wxWidgets/3.0.2
> Error: Failed to fetch wxPython-3.0: The requested URL returned error: 404
> Not Found
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_
> sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_wxWidgets-3.0/wxPython-3.0/main.log
> for details.
> [...]

Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
Institute of Energy and Environment - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
- Digital Terrain Analysis | GIS | Remote Sensing -

http://carlosgrohmann.com
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5073-5572