[GRASS-user] Organizing locations and mapsets

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 30 10:11:32 PDT 2017

   My ~/data/grassdata/ directory needs organization and I'm not finding the
commands that I need. Each time I've imported data from a source with a
projection different from similar data I've created a new location; e.g.,
Washington_LLC_feet and Washington_LLC_meters. I can use *.proj to convert
all Washington state data to LLC/meters, then remove the other, superfluous
locations.

   Within the single location I can create mapsets for each layer (e.g.,
roads, soils, hydrography, cadastral). I can also create a new mapset for
each project within that location and keep all layers for that project in
that one mapset. Is there a way to create a mapset tree; that is, if a
mapset is named 'project' can I create sub-mapsets for each layer used by
that project?

   Another question is about consolidating data in a single location and
multiple mapsets.

   Today I imported multiple fish species distribution data from individual
[Open|ESRI]FileGDB directories. I can rename one of these to, e.g., 'Fish,'
create mapsets for each species and use v.proj (although the projections are
the same) to move the data from the individual locations to this single one.
But, how do I move the data from the locations PERMANENT mapset to one for
that species?

   The wiki page on locations and mapsets did not provide answers to these
questions, or I did not see them there. I'm sure many of you have much
larger and more diverse data collections than do I. Suggestions on cleaning
up locations and mapsets within the grassdata/ directory are certainly
welcome.

Rich