[GRASS-user] Recovering from a build error

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 15 09:31:11 PDT 2017

   Very infrequently, when building a new executable from updated source code
from the 7.3.svn trunk I'll get an error such as today's:

Errors in:
/home/rshepard/gis/grass/grass7_trunk/scripts/d.rast.edit
--
In case of errors please change into the directory with error and run 'make'.

   When I cd to scripts/ and run make it completes without errors. Because it
has been so long since make has thrown an error I've forgotten how to
proceed. If I 'make distclean' and start over by configuring and making I
get the same error.

   Cd'ing back to grass7_trunk/ and running 'make' again still generates an
error in the same file:

GRASS GIS 7.3.svn r71491 compilation log
Started compilation: Fri Sep 15 09:27:55 PDT 2017
--
Errors in:
/home/rshepard/gis/grass/grass7_trunk/scripts/d.rast.edit
--
In case of errors please change into the directory with error and run 'make'.
If you get multiple errors, you need to deal with them in the order they
appear in the error log. If you get an error building a library, you will
also get errors from anything which uses the library.
--
Finished compilation: Fri Sep 15 09:28:23 PDT 2017
Makefile:57: recipe for target 'default' failed

   A reminder is needed.

TIA,

Rich