[GRASS-user] r.region question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 16 07:32:52 PDT 2018

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018, Vaclav Petras wrote:

> No, r.region changes the "region" of the raster map itself, i.e. changes
> its extent and resolution. The data stays the same. Its changes the
> metadata. The effect is stretching, shrinking, or moving the raster map.
> Any suggestions for improvement of the manual page?

Vaclav,

   Let me expand on my previous answer. If g.region is a generic function
that can use geographic coordinates, names, rasters, and vectors what
additional purpose is served by r.region and v.region? The same applied to
g.proj and, probably, other tools.

   I've had a couple of discussions over the years with Markus Neteler on a similar
issue: the reference to the map which is the focus of a module. Sometimes
the title is 'map' other times it's 'input' or 'name.' Yes, there are
probably legacy apps and scripts that use all three, but a global search and
replace can easily fix that. As grass gains more users I suggest it makes
sense to move toward consistency. For example, make all key:value pairs for
the focused data 'input.' Everyone understands that and it prevents looking
at the manual page for each module to find what it calls the data.
Especially for those of us who do not spend all day within grass.

My $2.00's worth,

Rich