[GRASS-user] ps.map/g.gui.psmap: comments and a request

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 17 14:05:06 PDT 2018

   I wanted to write a script to create a map using ps.map. Referring to the
extensive ps.map manual page and the scripts on the wiki's ps.map.scripts
page my attempt failed, throwing a python traceback. The sample scripts are
long out of date (from grass5 days) and there are no examples of, e.g.,
header.txt files to be imported by reference. (Note: I did not carefully
read the entire flood risk example.)

   I switched to the cartographic composer and figured that out by trial and
error. I'd still like to learn how to provide all that input in a text file
using emacs so I will use the g.gui.psmap output as my learning tool.

   One request for enhancing g.gui.psmap when someone has the time and
inclination to do so.

   When ctrl-shift-e is pressed to export the script as a text file it would
be great if the behavior was that of 'save file' commands. That is, the
currently open filename is remembered and overwritten with the current file
contents, automagically and without human intervention. Now, I need to
explicitly select the filename and explicitly tell grass to overwrite it.

   The cartographic composer is a great improvement over grass4x ps.map and I
appreciate the time and effort spent to reach this point. I prefer to work
off the keyboard writing the instructions (as with PSTricks) instead of
going through menus and dialog boxes; perhaps this will soon become easier,
too.

Regards,

Rich