[GRASS-user] v.vol.rst - not enough disk space to write temp file

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 27 04:24:43 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 2:42 AM Francois Chartier
<fra.chartier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> trying to run v.vol.rst with a larger dataset but using a smaller footprint for the interpolation, using the same domain than  my previous dataset.
> The interpolation does not reach the end of the simulation as there is not enough disk space.  Any way around this?

... get more disk space :-)

> (Wed Dec 19 20:24:48 2018)
> v.vol.rst --overwrite input=GeomodDec16 at Toronto wcolumn=dbl_2 tension=100 elevation=trialdec16
> 280957 records selected from table
> WARNING: Some points outside of region -- will ignore...
> WARNING: Strip exists with insufficient data
> Processing all selected output files will require 1830391004 bytes of disk space for temp files
> WARNING: There are points outside specified 2D/3D region--ignored 222354 points (total points: 280957)
> WARNING: Points are more dense than specified 'DMIN'--ignored 1946 points (remain 279011)
> WARNING: Unable to create <(null)> raster map without cross_input raster map being specified

(note: this <(null)> in that message I have fixed now but it is
unrelated to the problem).

> ERROR: Not enough disk space - cannot write temp files

When running the command keep an eye on the disk space: perhaps it
writes the temp files to a very small partition?

> (Wed Dec 19 20:29:56 2018) Command finished (5 min 8 sec)
>
> g.region -3p  [i have set a number of rows and columns to 100 for each, and res3.value as 1 (not sure if this contradict the number of column and rows)
> projection: 1 (UTM)
> zone:       17
> datum:      nad83
> ellipsoid:  grs80
> north:      4862000
> south:      4846000
> west:       609200
> east:       651700
> top:        250.00000000
> bottom:     50.00000000
> nsres:      160
> nsres3:     0.11358232
> ewres:      425
> ewres3:     0.44870509

nsres3 and ewres3 are not equal, is that intended?

> tbres:      2
> rows:       100
> rows3:      140867
> cols:       100
> cols3:      94717
> depths:     100
> cells:      10000
> cells3:     1334249963900

This is a fairly large amount of voxels: 1.33425e+12

Likely the need for much temp space stems from that.

Markus