[GRASS-user] Multiple `r.proj` requests on the same raster map(s)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Feb 24 14:00:32 PST 2018

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:31 PM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:06 PM, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net>
>> * Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> [2018-02-24 21:39:40 +0100]:
>>> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 9:25 PM, Nikos Alexandris
>>> <nik at nikosalexandris.net>
>> Looking at jobs logs, I read lots of ".gislock" lines.
>> It might be some permission related issue. I partially operated directly
>> (with my user-id) on many Locations.
>>
>> The operateor of the scheduler, has naturally, another user-id. I wonder
>> if I should apply GRASS_SKIP_MAPSET_OWNER_CHECK=1 everywhere.
>
> No, you need to run each process in a unique temporary mapset.

Yes, only that works. Be sure to have a sufficiently long random
string to be used as temporary mapset name.

You can for example the outout of
mktemp --dry-run

and add the machine name to it (and maybe the current time stamp
cleaned for special chars) to avoid race conditions if you use a
shared network storage.

> Once you have
> the final result, change the current mapset with g.mapset to the common
> mapset where final results should stored and copy the final result from the
> temporary mapset to the current mapset (the mapset to hold the final
> results).

(we have processed terabytes of LST data like this :-)

> Alternatively/additionally, don't use the script grassXY to start a GRASS
> session, instead define the GRASS environment with custom scripts (one for
> the GRASS version to use, one for the database/location/mapset to use). This
> avoids race conditions on a HPC system. A unique temporary mapset for each
> process helps to avoid all sorts of concurrent access problems.
>
> Markus M

Let's expand this Wiki section a bit with our findings (I'll try to
find my notes):
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Parallel_GRASS_jobs#Cluster_and_Grid_computing

markusN