[GRASS-user] Grass on MacOS

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 06:46:27 PST 2018

Hi Adam,

I'm glad to hear you got GRASS working on OS X w/ MacPorts. That is the system I use too. I recently switched from HomeBrew. I got GRASS working with fink too, but prefer MacPorts, although there are some MacPort-specific issues if you want to use the temporal framework.

I found it helpful to set GRASS_PYTHON and have it pointing to

export GRASS_PYTHON=/opt/local/bin/python2.7

I don't like installing 3rd-party frameworks, so I also have QGIS installed via MacPorts and it works well.

For GRASS, I had to "sudo port install gdal +netcdf" in order to be able to read in NetCDF files. For QGIS I did "sudo port install QGIS +qt4 +grass".

  -k.