[GRASS-user] Importing .tif

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 09:21:11 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2018, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
>
>> gdalinfo int_43120C4404.tif -proj4 -nomd
>

> Nilos/Helmut:
>
>   For some reason I looked at the .xml file rather than running gdalinfo
on
> the 100th/quad .tif file. Creating a new location with that proj.4 string
> allowed me to import the DLQ, but ... I still needed to use the '-o'
> projection override.

If you use the -o flag, you are potentially corrupting the data. The safest
is to create a new location directly from the data to be imported, unless
there is a good reason to assume that the srs info in the data as reported
by gdalinfo is wrong.

> IIRC, the proj.4 string units are feet, but the image
> itself is apparently in meters. Well, it's ESRI software and as long as it
> imports I'm happy.

It does not import, unless the -o flag is used. That means the srs of the
location and of the data to be imported do not match.

>   The new imported raster map reprojected to the project location, so the
> remaining question (which may not have an answer) is why three separate
> color bands are imported (RGB)? The display is monochrome and all three
> separate images *.red, *.green, and *.blue look the same on the monitor.
Can
> I display this DLQ in color? (I think the last time I used aerial
> photographs or satellite imagery was with grass-4.1 or -5.x.)

Try d.rgb

Markus M