[GRASS-user] Spatial data exchange formats

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 8 11:15:28 PDT 2018

On Wed, 30 May 2018, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:

> So you have to look by ogrinfo/gdalinfo --formats; you can get further
> information on the GDAL Website.

   I have LiDAR files in two ESRI formats and don't know which would be the
better one to use: .shp and .adf.

   My research taught me that .adf is Amiga Data File, and I thought that
Amiga died several decades ago. Seems that ESRI is using that format for
some reason and it does not appear to be supported by gdal.

   The directories with the adf files also contain .dat, .nit, and .dir
files and come in three versions: bare earth, highest hits, and intensity.

   My use of these DEMs is for hydrological modeling, including storm runoff
with times of concentration for specified 24-hour storm hydrographs. So, I
want to become informed about my choices. Recommended readings also
appreciated.

Regards,

Rich