[GRASS-user] Spatial data exchange formats

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:16:04 PDT 2018

Hi Rich,

Looks like I confused things a bit.

ESRI ArcINFO used two formats that spreded files into a directory with the
layer name and another directory called INFO. In the directory with the
layer name, the files had the .ADF extension you mentioned in the first
email. But their content is different.

>From the list you sent, you have a file named hdr.adf, which is a giveaway
that we are dealing with an ESRI GRID (raster format). The presence of a
.OVR file also indicates that it's a grid, OVR being the raster pyramid
overviews.

So, if you have a Raster product, it means that the person providing the
data took care of the processing to generate both the bare earth model and
the highest hit.

Anyway, you can use r.in.gdal to import those GRIDS into GRASS. Just point
to the hdr.adf file and all should be OK.

Cheers and sorry for the confusion.
Daniel

PS - Some references explaining both ESRI formats
http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/raster-and-images/esri-grid-format.htm

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/coverages/contents-of-a-coverage-workspace.htm