[GRASS-user] Spatial data exchange formats

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 21 10:24:50 PDT 2018

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Daniel Victoria wrote:

> ESRI ArcINFO used two formats that spreded files into a directory with the
> layer name and another directory called INFO. In the directory with the
> layer name, the files had the .ADF extension you mentioned in the first
> email. But their content is different.

Daniel,

   In the late 1980s I used Arc/INFO on a Prime and pc-arc/info on a pc. Info
was the attribute database.

> From the list you sent, you have a file named hdr.adf, which is a giveaway
> that we are dealing with an ESRI GRID (raster format). The presence of a
> .OVR file also indicates that it's a grid, OVR being the raster pyramid
> overviews.

   Thought so.

> So, if you have a Raster product, it means that the person providing the
> data took care of the processing to generate both the bare earth model and
> the highest hit.
>
> Anyway, you can use r.in.gdal to import those GRIDS into GRASS. Just point
> to the hdr.adf file and all should be OK.

   My problems are that pointing r.in.gdal to the hdr.adf files display only
the strange wedge/rectangle I attached to messages earlier in this thread.
They should be retangles for a full 1 degree x 1 degree topographic quad map
with colors varying by elevation.

   My need is to learn why I'm not getting clean imports of either bare_earth
or highest_hits for any of the three years of data. This is why this thread
has continued so long. The only option to r.in.gdal I've used is '-o' to
use the source's projection for the map.

Thanks,

Rich