[GRASS-user] GUI problem

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Mar 30 06:07:14 PDT 2018

Hi Frank,

On 30/03/18 11:23, Frank David wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've met a problem this morning on only one of my project. The map are
> displayed but I cannot do anything on GUI, no command message returned
> but the message below on GUI console >
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "/usr/local/grass-7.4.0svn/gui/wxpython/gui_core/forms.py",
> line 836, in OnRun
>
> ret = self._gconsole.RunCmd(cmd, onDone=self.OnDone)
>    File
> "/usr/local/grass-7.4.0svn/gui/wxpython/core/gconsole.py",
> line 467, in RunCmd
>
> self.UpdateHistoryFile(' '.join(command))
>    File
> "/usr/local/grass-7.4.0svn/gui/wxpython/core/gconsole.py",
> line 748, in UpdateHistoryFile
>
> {'filePath': filePath, 'error': e},
> UnicodeDecodeError
> :
> 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 32: ordinal
> not in range(128)

This means that there is some issue with non-ASCII characters (in French
it's often accents), either in a path or in an error message. This is a
bug and it would be great if you could report it on the bug tacker [1].

But in the meantime, in case the error comes from special characters in
a French error message, you could switch the GUI to English and then
relaunch it to see what the error message is. If the error is linked to
special characters in a path, try to move everything into a pure ASCII
path .

Moritz

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/