[GRASS-user] v vol rst super slow

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:30:06 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Francois Chartier <fra.chartier at gmail.com>

> tbres:      1
> rows:       9016
> rows3:      9016
> cols:       8493
> cols3:      8493
> depths:     307
> cells:      76572888
> cells3:     23507876616
>
> for v.vol.rst command line - i am not sure where you get this so i just
restarted the simulation.
> Wed May 23 07:07:59 2018)

> v.vol.rst input=BHMat1All_May12 at Toronto wcolumn=cat dmin=0.1

> 25 records selected from table
> Processing all selected output files will require 0 bytes of disk space
for temp files
> WARNING: Points are more dense than specified 'DMIN'--ignored 65 points
(remain 76822)
> WARNING: Unable to create <(null)> raster map without cross_input raster
map being specified

> v.info
> (Wed May 23 07:06:24 2018)

> v.info map=BHMat1All_May12 at Toronto

>  | Name:            BHMat1All_May12
    |
>  | Mapset:          Toronto
    |
>  | Location:        Toronto
    |
>  | Database:        C:\Users\Francois Chartier\Documents\grassdata
     |
>  | Title:
    |
>  | Map scale:       1:1
    |
>  | Name of creator: Francois Chartier

>  | Source date:     Sat May 12 15:45:44 2018
     |
>  | Timestamp (first layer): none

>  | Map format:      native

>  |   Type of map: vector (level: 2)

>  |   Number of points:       76887           Number of centroids:  0
     |
>  |   Number of lines:        0               Number of boundaries: 0
     |
>  |   Number of areas:        0               Number of islands:    0
     |
>  |   Number of faces:        0               Number of kernels:    0
     |
>  |   Number of volumes:      0               Number of holes:      0

>  |   Map is 3D:              Yes
     |
>  |   Number of dblinks:      1

>  |   Projection: UTM (zone 17)

>  |               N:           4870795    S:           4825715
    |
>  |               E:            651669    W:            609204
    |
>  |               B:                45    T:               352

>  |   Digitization threshold: 0
     |
>  |   Comment:

> (Wed May 23 07:06:24 2018) Command finished (0 sec)

The current target resolutions of

nsres3:     5
ewres3:     5
tbres:      1

are much too high for the given extents and the coverage of the input points

According to the output of v.info, a point covers on average about 7643645
cubic meters which corresponds to voxels with edge length of about 200
meters. Therefore a good starting point would be a 3D region with
resolutions in all 3 dimensions of 200 meter. If the results make sense,
the resolutions can be slowly increased.

Markus M

>> Hi François,
>>
>> Please keep all discussions on the list.
>>
>> On 23/05/18 02:26, Francois Chartier wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Moritz,
>>>
>>> see below.  seems like i have 6M cells
>>>
>>> projection: 1 (UTM)
>>> zone:       17
>>> datum:      nad83
>>> ellipsoid:  grs80
>>> north:      4868980
>>> south:      4829680
>>> west:       609620
>>> east:       651628
>>> nsres:      5
>>> ewres:      4.99976196
>>> rows:       7860
>>> cols:       8402
>>> cells:      66039720
>>

>> Sorry, my fault: as you are interpolating in 3D we need the 3D region,
so the output of 'g.region -3p'.