[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS in Archaeology: how to get a cross section

Lluís Vicens lluis.vicens at udg.edu
Mon Nov 12 01:40:09 PST 2018

Hi everyone,

Let me share some doubts and concerns regarding to a concrete
application of GRASS GIS to archaeology.

The point is that I would like to prepare some training exercises for a
group of archaeologists, and I'm dealing right now with the problem of
how to properly represent stratigraphic sections or cross sections over
an excavation site. I mean something like this:

stratigraphy

For the training exercises, I could own a collection or a series of
digital surface models (dsm), relative to every single step or
excavation phase on the excavation's site process. In a practical way,
that means that every time a stratum is removed, the archaeologists can
get a new digital surface model using a drone and a lidar sensor. Then
computing the difference between the previous dsm and the current one
(and so on, successively), they could obtain a collection of stratum or
layers to visualize it in a cross section diagram. I don't know if the
problem is enough well explained...

I've been reading and searching on the Internet for a while, about GRASS
GIS and stratigraphic/cross sections, but I've didn't find any hint
neither a clear clue about how to do it. So, the question is, is it
possible to get something similar to the previous or the following image
using GRASS GIS, as well as combined, with other tools or open source
software? Any answer, hint or clue will be really appreciated.

model

Thanks,
Lluís

--
Lluís Vicens
Servei de Sistemes d'Informació Geogràfica
lluis.vicens at udg.edu

Lloc web:http://www.sigte.udg.edu
Twitter:http://twitter.com/SIGTE_UdG