[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS in Archaeology: how to get a cross section

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 12 05:42:04 PST 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Lluís Vicens wrote:

> For the training exercises, I could own a collection or a series of
> digital surface models (dsm), relative to every single step or excavation
> phase on the excavation's site process.

Lluís,

   Your description looks similar to what mining geologists do to provide an
estimate of ore by grade and location; a 3D model of the ore body based on
core (or bulk) samples.

   A less expensive approach than using a LiDAR-equiped drone would be to
take depth measurements at points on a defined grid and use geostatistical
models to interpoate between unmeasured points. If you need to only map
strata, grass has capabilities for producing 3D models of geology but I've
not used them because I'm not a geologist.

   Something to consider while others provide more explicit ideas.

Regards,

Rich