[GRASS-user] edit vector with wxGUI

Frank David frank.david at geophom.fr
Thu Nov 22 00:22:35 PST 2018

Le 21/11/2018 à 19:58, Rich Shepard a écrit :
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, Frank David wrote:
>
>> it's mostly to move the points that I need. It's a shame because the
>> interface could be useful if it was functional.
>
> Frank,
>
>   The GUI is functional; we just need to learn how it functions. :-)
>
>   Moving points are the same. Select one, move it, save, and reload
> the GUI.
> The point should now be seen in its new position.
>
>   I have had more trouble trying to use v.edit. I also find that
> wx.gui.psmap
> is good for initial layout but I need to finish the map manually in
> emacs.
>
>   In the 1990s there was no GUI; eveything was done on the command
> line. To
> a high degree, adding Python and wxPython not only made using grass
> easier
> and quicker in some ways but it also opened it to many other users who
> fear
> the command line like a contagious disease. The developers of the various
> graphical assistants had/have a vision of how it works that might not
> match
> every user's expectation of how it should work. So, we play with them and
> ask on the mail list and soon they all become (excuse me) "intuitive."
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Rich,

I may be do not understand how you save and reload the gui ?. See below
how I did :

1- I set the layer in edit mod.
2- I push the vertex move button on the gui toolbar
3- I left click on my point (it becomes yellow)
4- I right click on the map where I want to move my point (the point
does not move)
5- I quit the layer edit mod and validate the saving box
6- I set again my layer in edit mod, but nothing has changed...

I do not see where I'm wrong...

Concerning shell command, I totally agree with you and it's why I'm
working on Linux (only) for the past 15 years...The shell command, and
all available tools within shell, are so powerful than I can't imagine
computer without shell !. But sometimes, for me, or for me colleagues,
using a GUI is a faster way when you do not practice so much a software.

Regards,

Frank