[GRASS-user] Using grass to create elevation and orthoimagery for 3d package (needs tiff format)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 4 05:18:15 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 03/10/18 22:29, Rasha Shalaby wrote:
> > I am certain is is a grass solution. I am able to load one .adf and
> > export as png (which i can convert to tif).
> > The main issue I am facing is being able to stitch multiple .adf (tiles)
> > into one and lining it up with the orthoimagery.
>
> r.in.gdal to import the data
> g.region rast=orthoimagery to set the computational region to correspond
> to the orthoimage (supposing this is the area you want to stitch your
> elevation data in)

... note that you can tell g.region to use multiple input maps, like

g.region raster=ortho1,ortho2,...

> r.patch in=elevation1,elevation2,etc to stitch together your elevation data

With GRASS GIS 7.6+ you can use this instead of r.patch:

r.buildvrt - Build a VRT (Virtual Raster) from the list of input raster maps.
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass76/manuals/r.buildvrt.html

It takes a fraction of time and does not duplicate the raster data.

> r.out.gdal to export to tiff.
>
> Moritz

best,
markusN