[GRASS-user] v.out.ogr - layer name

Daniel McInerney daniel.o.mcinerney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 06:13:58 PST 2019

Hi List,

When I export a vector using v.out.ogr, I'm unable to assign an output
layer name when the output format is 'ESRI_Shapefile'. For example:

v.out.ogr input=grid_clip output=grid_clip.shp output_layer=sub_grid
format='ESRI_Shapefile'

Exporting 4 areas (may take some time)...
  100%
v.out.ogr complete. 4 features (Polygon type) written to <sub_grid>

the message indicates that it has been written to sub_grid, but the
output from ogrinfo indicates that is hasn't been updated:

ogrinfo -so grid_clip.shp

INFO: Open of `grid_clip.shp'
       using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.
1: grid_clip (Polygon)

However, the above process works, and the correct layer name is written,
when the output format is GeoPackage or SQLite. I can update the layer
name subsequently with ogr2ogr, but it would be preferable if this could
be avoided. I'm using GRASS 7.4.0 (2018) on Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic).

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel.