[GRASS-user] ascii decode special character

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 04:08:08 PST 2019

Hi Frank,

Now I see what you mean, yes. Same happens for kilometers in Spanish.
I think this is worth a ticket in [0]. Please, provide a simple example and
instructions to reproduce the issue.

Cheers,
Vero

[0] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki

El jue., 3 ene. 2019 a las 20:21, Frank David (<frank.david at geophom.fr>)
escribió:

> Hi Vero,
>
> I mean that "kilometer" is not a string from my psmap, it's a part of
> scale object "scalebar" in the psmap file :
>
> scalebar s
>     where 7.0 9.3
>     length 10.0
>     units kilometers
>     height 0.04
>
> The translation in french (with accent), when the GUI is set in french, is
> made by Grass.
>
> All my special characters are well printed in my ps file, except the scale
> unit... ;-(
>
> Do you see what I mean ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Frank
>

> Le 03/01/2019 à 13:40, Veronica Andreo a écrit :
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> Maybe I do not get what you mean, but changing the encoding for the psmap
> file and the running ps.map with the newly saved file helped me with
> special characters in Spanish such as accent and ñ. That's what we use
> ps.map for, no? Or what do you mean then?
>
> Cheers,
> Vero
>
> El jue., 3 ene. 2019 a las 12:43, Frank David (<frank.david at geophom.fr>)
> escribió:
>
>> Hi Vero,
>>
>> Ok for updating.
>>
>> Concerning the problem of special character in units (kilometer) scale
>> bar, we already had a post about that, and encoding in ISO-8859-1 does not
>> change anything about that (but solve the problem in text string from
>> user). I think the problem comes from grass code...
>>
>> I met the same problem with v.label.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Frank
>> Le 03/01/2019 à 12:16, Veronica Andreo a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> Good that you solved it :)
>>
>> In any case, I would recommend you to update your grass version. There
>> have been quite some changes since August last year in trunk (Dev version).
>>
>> Moreover, I think the ps.map issue could be solved by saving the psmap
>> instructions with a different encoding, no need to change language because
>> of that. Check the last paragraph under Notes in the manual [0].
>>
>> HTH,
>> Vero
>>
>> [0] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass77/manuals/ps.map.html
>>
>> El jue., 3 ene. 2019 6:45, Frank David <frank.david at geophom.fr> escribió:
>>
>>> Hi Markus,
>>>

>>> Hi Frank,
>>>

>>> Am Mi., 2. Jan. 2019, 16:56 hat Frank David <frank.david at geophom.fr>
>>> geschrieben:

>>> Happy New Year!
>>>
>>> I met a decoding problem with "v.db.select map=my_vector

>>> Could you please send the precise version? It looks a bit dated.
>>>
>>> g.version -g
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> version=7.5.svn
>>> date=2018