[GRASS-user] v.vol.rst - not enough disk space to write temp file

Francois Chartier fra.chartier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 14:56:37 PST 2019

Hi,

I checked the temp file that is saved during the v.vol.rst interpolation
process, and the file went up to over 50 GB and more until the space on my
laptop (free space of 100GB) was exausted.
So I copied all the grass data file onto an external hard drive with 1
Terabyte of space. started grass and browsed to the data that is saved on
the external hard drive.  when running vvolrst, the process also crashed
due to not enough space....
the memory situation is much better during the process.
for some reason it does not seem to increase the size of the temp file on
the hard drive...
see error message below.
(Sat Jan 12 17:28:02 2019)

v.vol.rst --overwrite input=Dec16CleanedJjan12 at Toronto wcolumn=dbl_2 dmin=1
elevation=dec16jan12
280957 records selected from table
WARNING: Some points outside of region -- will ignore...
Processing all selected output files will require 2134724556 bytes of disk
space for temp files
WARNING: There are points outside specified 2D/3D region--ignored 1 points
(total points: 280957)
WARNING: Points are more dense than specified 'DMIN'--ignored 158199 points
(remain 122758)
WARNING: Unable to create 'cross_output' raster map without 'cross_input'
raster map being specified
ERROR: Not enough disk space - cannot write temp files
(Sat Jan 12 17:54:14 2019) Command finished (26 min 12 sec)

below is the g.region -p3 printed, as you can see this is a large domain
and high resolution.

projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       17
datum:      nad83