[GRASS-user] Mixing zone analyses? [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 29 08:59:17 PST 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Has anyone used GRASS to model the mixing zone of an industrial point
> discharge into a receiving stream or river? If so, please point me to any
> relevant publications or work flows for doing such an analysis.

While GRASS does not now have capabilities to analyze aquatic mixing zones
for point source discharges I've found two open source tools that can do the
job. The first is openFOAM and the second is akvaGIS which is packaged with
QGIS' FREEWAT tools. The first is probably more applicable for analyzing
dilutions of point source discharges into receiving streams and rivers.

Also, while R has packages for aerial dispersion modeling of stack emissions
there are none (that I've found) for the equivalent modeling in aquatic
media.

Rich