[GRASS-user] Anisotropy

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 16 14:39:52 PDT 2019

On 16/03/2019 21:24, Francois Chartier wrote:
> I thought Zscale was used to convert units ft to m, i didnt know it was
> for giving more weight to one direction.

That's only one application case. The manual page
goes on:

'Rescaling of z-coordinates (zscale) is also needed when the distances
in vertical direction are much smaller than the horizontal distances ..'

That is equivalent to what you are looking
for: instead of assuming that a process works
slower or faster in the Z direction (anisotropy),
you could also assume the speed is the same but
the Z distance is shorter/longer, no?

If I understand the manual page correctly, then
'zscale' only rescales Z values during
interpolation, but the original coordinates are
preserved in the voxel output.

Why not just experiment and check if it produces
a useful result?

Cheers,

Ben