[GRASS-user] Trouble getting started

Tom Trebisky tom at mmto.org
Thu Nov 14 19:40:31 PST 2019

I am totally new to grass and having trouble.

I installed grass from RPM on my Fedora 30 linux system.  First I
installed 7.6 from official fedora packages, then I erased that and
installed 7.8 from packages on the Fedora "copr" repository.  I
downloaded the sample North Carolina dataset for version 7 (145M). I
untarred that into /home/tom/grassdata and when I browse to that, grass
seems to find it and is ready to go.  But when I click on "Start Grass
Session" I get two empty and useless windows and see the messages:

(wxgui.py:30767): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 20:37:16.297:
gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

(wxgui.py:30767): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 20:37:16.297:
gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

I get the exact same with 7.6 and 7.8.

The useless windows call themselves "layer manager" and "map display".

This seems like a reasonable way to get started.  What if anything am I
doing wrong, or is this some known bug?