[GRASS-user] Trouble getting started

Tom Trebisky tom at mmto.org
Fri Nov 15 08:05:36 PST 2019

Hi Moritz,

Thank you for your help and advice.  I am running 7.8.1RC1 as it turns
out, installed yesterday.

I was overly alarmed by the error messages (they do say "Critical Error"
after all) and along with
getting two blank windows, I just assumed that something serious was wrong.

I do think that it would make sense for somebody to fix whatever it is
that yields the messages like:

(wxgui.py:419): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:21:42.695:
gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkSpinButton

In fact I note that the window I used to start GRASS is filled with
messages of this sort.
Likely that the Gtk libraries have become extra fussy or something, but
it would be nice to clean this
up as it will alarm new users (or any sensible user I would think).

My blank windows do have buttons and when I ignore the error messages
that continue to spew out, I do get
results!  I had expected that I would immediately see some kind of map,
not just a blank canvas to start, so on
with the learning curve I go.

     Tom