[GRASS-user] Trouble getting started

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Nov 15 14:26:49 PST 2019

Hi Tom,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Tom Trebisky <tom at mmto.org> wrote:

> Hi Moritz,
>
> Thank you for your help and advice.  I am running 7.8.1RC1 as it turns
> out, installed yesterday.
>
> I was overly alarmed by the error messages (they do say "Critical Error"
> after all) and along with
> getting two blank windows, I just assumed that something serious was wrong.

Yes, these GTK error messages are annoying a big time!
Seems nobody knows how to get rid of them. See your preferred search
engine that many software packages with terminal support + GUI suffer
from them...

> I do think that it would make sense for somebody to fix whatever it is
> that yields the messages like:
>
> (wxgui.py:419): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:21:42.695:
> gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkSpinButton

Fully agreed. The thing is that they are rather impossible to debug.
It says line 419 but there is nothing related.

> In fact I note that the window I used to start GRASS is filled with
> messages of this sort.
> Likely that the Gtk libraries have become extra fussy or something, but
> it would be nice to clean this
> up as it will alarm new users (or any sensible user I would think).

Again, fully agreed.

> My blank windows do have buttons and when I ignore the error messages
> that continue to spew out, I do get
> results!  I had expected that I would immediately see some kind of map,
> not just a blank canvas to start, so on
> with the learning curve I go.

That's a different topic but also agreed ;-)

Markus