[GRASS-user] v.stream.* questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 4 05:44:57 PDT 2019

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019, Johannes Radinger wrote:

> AFAIK, the tool v.stream.order was developed to work with grass vector
> files only (no raster input needed). So, the input needed for
> v.stream.order is the vector lines representing the streams (lines must be
> connected) and points that define the outlet of each river network that
> should be processed. I haven't tested v.stream.order for a while, so I am
> not sure if it still works with newer versions of GRASS?! However, tool
> comes with a testsuite (see source code) and a working example based on
> the NC-dataset to test operability of v.stream.order.

Johannes,

Yes, this does help. The river network is very large and complex and adding
points at each confluence would take a very long time. After stepping back
and thinking how the outputs from the v.stream.* modules would be received
by the intended audience I realize that this detail is meaningless to
non-technical decision-makers.

Thanks very much,

Rich