[GRASS-user] r.proj use of memory

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 12 15:22:16 PDT 2019

I have a large DEM reprojecting from lon/lat to Lambert Conformal Conic and
specified the lanczos_f method to minimize smoothing (the west edge of the
DEM is at the coast).

With 32G RAM in the host I specified mem=4000 in the r.proj command line.
When I look at top I see that process consuming 97.5%-100.0% of the CPU (8
cores/16 threads) but only 1.5% of available memory. Since I allocated about
16% of available memory to this process why isn't r.proj using it?

So far the process has been running for 2 hours; I thought that 4G of memory
(rather than the default 300M) would decrease processing time.

I would like to learn how to minimize processing time when modules accept a
higher-than-default amount of memory dedicated to them and the maps are very
large.

Thanks in advance,

Rich