[GRASS-user] Debugging a r.gdal import error

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 23 15:34:00 PDT 2019

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Well, without error message nor link to the data it is hard to say.
> In addition, it is usually worthwhile to check a dataset with gdalinfo.

Markus,

I'm dealing with two separate issues: r.in.gdal/r.import unable to read
hdr.adf and maps that are supposed to fit tightly to the border of a topo
quad rectangle don't. I'll deal with the latter issue first.

I separated the orginal bare-earth dataset for one portion of the topo quad
and uploaded it to fileconvory.com
<http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g180d8982ad7f3f731000197000c9cb9624a57ea50a>.
Even xz compressed it's 550MB large. It will be available at that URL for 5
days.

The output of gdalinfo -proj4 on the w* file is the same as that in the
prj.adf file.

My workflow started with creating a new location using the prj.adf file to
set the projection. Then I applied r.in.gdal to the hdr.adf. Displaying the
imported file shows it is slightly rotated clockwise (see attached file
h5clatsop.png). The other two maps in this topo quad import and display
correctly (the three can be seen in the attached file, 45123a5_clatsop.png.

I'm at a loss to understand why the imported map is not square with the topo
boundary. The gdalinfo -proj4 results (attached) show different coordinates
for the northwest and southwest but the OLC data coordinator tells me the
map displays correctly for him and one of his colleagues.

Regards,

Rich