[GRASS-user] Can I turn off compression

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 08:37:23 PST 2020

Hi,

I'd like to turn off compression for all maps. Is this possible with g.gisenv or environment variables? The g.gisenv manual only shows how to choose among compression methods, not disable it.

This does not seem to work:

g.gisenv set="GRASS_COMPRESSOR=none" # optimize for speed

I can decompress one map with:

r.compress -u map=foo

But I'm trying to skip the time spent compressing and decompressing altogether. I could use a small speed boost, and this seems like an easy way to speed things up - I can afford the disk space for all the temporary intermediate maps.

Thanks,

  -k.